Mr Edward Fry, an Indigenous Australian with extensive experience in the resources sector and current Chairperson of Indigenous Business Australia (IBA), has been appointed Chairperson of the Indigenous Land Corporation (ILC) for a three-year period, effective from Tuesday 20 October 2015.
Minister for Indigenous Affairs, Nigel Scullion, said Mr Fry’s appointment would allow the ILC to drive a strong economic development agenda for the benefit of Indigenous Australians.
“Mr Fry is best placed to forge even stronger links between the Indigenous Land Corporation, Indigenous Business Australia and other Indigenous organisations,” Minister Scullion said.
“These relationships are essential to creating opportunities for Indigenous economic development.
“Mr Fry has extensive experience in financial and human resource management as well as Indigenous training and employment and is a specialist in Indigenous and Native Title issues.”
Minister Scullion said the ILC has the purpose of assisting Indigenous people to acquire and manage land to achieve economic, environmental, social and cultural benefits.
“I am announcing Mr Fry’s appointment well in advance of him commencing his term, to allow discussions with Mr Fry about several other Board appointments which also commence in October,” he said.
“It also allows time for a smooth transition and for Mr Fry to be ready to start work from 20 October 2015 to maximise his input into securing successful outcomes for Indigenous Australians from the ILC’s land holdings and jobs programme.”
Minister Scullion thanked the departing ILC Chair, Dr Dawn Casey.
“Dr Casey has a strong commitment to improving outcomes for Indigenous Australians, and I want to thank her for her work as Chairperson since 2011,” he said.
An employment biography for Mr Fry follows.
Mr Edward Fry: Chairperson – Indigenous Land Corporation
Edward Fry has extensive experience within the Australian resource sector and is a specialist in Indigenous and Native Title issues. His early employment included involvement with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission and also the Aboriginal Development Commission.
Mr Fry holds a Diploma in Business Management from the University of Adelaide.
Current positions include:
- Director, Gimbulki Resources Pty Ltd (Gimbulki is a Native Title Land access company that provides consulting services to a range of Australian Exploration and Mining Companies)
- Consultant to TNG Limited (TNG Limited is an Australian resource company focused on the exploration, evaluation and development of a multi-commodity resource portfolio in the Northern Territory and Western Australia)
Current Board appointments include:
- Chairperson, Indigenous Business Australia (2014 – present)
- Chairman, Indigenous Advisory Board, Transfield Services Australia (2010 – present)
- Deputy Chairman, Aboriginal Foundation of South Australia Incorporated (2007 – present)
Previous board appointments include:
- Director, TNG Limited (2006 – 2011)
Previous roles include:
- Senior Executive roles with Normandy Mining Ltd, where he established the company’s Traditional Owner policy, and later was manager of logistics and marketing of Normandy’s base-metal portfolio.
Download media release:
2015-08-05 Media Release – Edward Fry Appointed as new Chairperson of ILC.pdf