Country Liberals Senator for the Northern Territory, Nigel Scullion, has called on NT businesses and veterans to nominate for the inaugural Veterans’ Employment Awards.
Senator Scullion said the Veterans’ Employment Awards would recognise businesses and organisations that created employment opportunities for veterans and spouses of serving Defence members. It would also recognise veterans who had made significant contributions to their workplace.
The Veterans’ Employment Awards have been established as part of the Prime Minister’s Veterans’ Employment Initiative, which aims to improve the post-service employability of veterans.
“In the Australian Defence Force (ADF) our personnel work in high-pressure environments and learn skills such as problem-solving, teamwork, leadership and the ability to adapt to new technologies,” Senator Scullion said.
“Those talents are in demand in a modern economy and I know Territory businesses are employing veterans and using their skills to succeed.
“I’m encouraging local businesses and local veterans to look at the award categories and nominate so their achievements can be recognised.”
The Veterans’ Employment Awards were developed by the Industry Advisory Committee (IAC) on Veterans’ Employment.
Nominations for the Veterans’ Employment Awards are open until 22 December 2017 and can be submitted at www.veteransemployment.gov.au.
The categories for the awards include:
- Leadership in Recruitment of Veterans
- Veteran Employee of the Year – Workplace Contribution
- Veterans’ Employer of the Year – Large Business
- Veteran’ Employer of the Year – Small to Medium-Sized Business
- Veterans’ Employer of the Year – Public Sector Organisation
- Excellence in Supporting Veterans’ Employment
- Outstanding Contribution by an Individual to Veterans’ Employment
- Excellence in Supporting Spouse Employment
- Outstanding Contribution by an Organisation to Veterans’ Employment