NT Education Minister Selena Uibo has demonstrated she cares more about Territory Labor than Territorians with her partisan press release about today’s Council of Australian Government Education Council meeting, Country Liberals Senator for the Northern Territory, Nigel Scullion, said.
“Instead of welcoming the record Commonwealth investment in education, and the support provided to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in the Territory through the Indigenous Advancement Strategy, Minister Uibo is more interested in political point scoring than outcomes for students,” Senator Scullion said.
The facts are clear:
- From 1 January 2018, our Quality Schools package is growing school funding from $17.5 billion in 2017 to $29.5 billion in 2027.
- Commonwealth funding for all schools in the Northern Territory is growing from $356.8 million in 2018 to $509.2 million in 2027. This represents an average per student increase of 3.5 per cent each year over the next ten years.
- In addition, to assist the Territory in its reforms in education, on top of the $2.2 billion being provided to Territory government schools over the next ten years, we will provide an additional $78.5 million to accelerate evidence-based reforms to improve student outcomes.
- To support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students engage in school we are investing over $150 million in Indigenous Advancement Strategy activities focused on children and schooling in the Northern Territory.
- The Commonwealth has also stepped up and taken responsibility for remote school attendance in the absence of any leadership from the Gunner Government. That is why our Remote School Attendance Strategy (RSAS) will invest a further $61.6 million over four years to 39 sites in the Northern Territory.
“The Gunner Government needs to clearly outline what support it provides Territory schools including whether it provides every dollar from the Commonwealth to schools or whether this is used to offset Michael Gunner’s failing budget.
“Surely the future of our children is more important than the political spin Minister Uibo and Michael Gunner want to put on the Territory. Join me in putting political differences aside for Territory children.”